O noticed Sophie's temperature was up (100.4 axillary), and she had been sleeping a lot since the afternoon, though she was eating pretty well. So the doctor said to bring her into Children's Hospital, because they don't like to take chances with high fever in an infant that young (six weeks). We woke up Sebastian (who somehow didn't mind getting woke up), got to Children's, and then alternating between waiting (mostly) and seeing medical personnel.
Frankly, I was expecting that we'd be out of there fairly quickly, because Sebastian had had a short fever on Tuesday going into Wednesday, so Sophie has most likely picked that up (he stayed home on Wednesday and Thursday, so there plenty of opportunity for transmission). But unless the test results could dismiss the possibility of something serious, Sophie (and Olivia) would have to stay in the hospital.
As it turned out, by 6 they couldn't get a good clear sample of Sophie's spinal fluid (yes, a spinal tap), so they couldn't tell right away if spinal meningitis was out of the question. They got enough to make a culture that would tell the tale in 24 hours, but still Sophie and Olivia would have to stay.
So at the earliest, they'll be at Children's until Sunday morning, and it's just the guys (Sebastian and me) on our own until hopefully everything turns out all right. Olivia must be pretty tired and I know I am -- I think I finally got to sleep at 6:30 or so, so I think that's a recent record for being up (22.5 hours). We'll visit this afternoon, and try to get enough things to Olivia that she pass the time more presently and change into other clothes.
What would be great is if thing clear up before my mother's 60th birthday party. Here's hoping...