If you're a paid user, you now get up twenty syndication points with which to read the updates of other websites outside LJ. This is a good way to cut down on visiting web sites to see if they've been updated. The more people that read a particular LJ-syndicated feed, the fewer points it will “cost” each individual reading it. A lot of popular ones around down to around a fifth of a point now. There are a few with very few readers that you might be interested in:
- pressthink This is a thoughtful blog about the press. Heck, it's written by Jay Rosen, a professor at NYU, so it damn well ought to be !
- rebeccablood Rebecca Blood writes about a lot of things, including the ecological aspects of food. Anybody who calls the web a “procrastination machine” must be onto something.
- macservers_feed Useful if you're hacking Mac OS X as a server.
- think_secret One of the better Apple rumor sites.
- artima_weblogs There's some good writing about development, especially methologies, at Artima. The weblog articles tend to be too short, but at least following the link from them gets you into the rest of the site.
- bitworking The guy behind Bitworking is the author of the Atom (weblog syndication/API) specification, so this is a good way of keeping up with its evolution.